Frequently Asked Questions

Alternative Payment FAQ

On the Alternative Payment page, click the link to “Apply Today”. You can also call us and we will mail you a form, or you can drop by one of our offices to pick one up. A case manager will review your application to determine your eligibility. You will receive a letter letting you know if you are eligible and what your ranking is.

All of ICES’s services are free. There is no charge to apply and no charge for our services.

However, depending on your income, you may be required to pay a portion of your child care costs, called a “Family Fee.” In addition, if you select a child care provider whose fees are higher than the limits set by the state, you will be responsible for the difference between the provider’s charges and what ICES can pay, referred to as “share of cost.’ We can help you understand these charges and help you find child care that fits your needs as well; contact us anytime for more information or assistance. Family Fees and ‘share of cost’ are to be paid directly to your child care provider.

For most families, initial eligibility for the Subsidized Child care Program is based on income and need. You must have a reason for needing child care such as working, attending school or a training program, or looking for work. In two parent households, both parents must have a need. Foster families, families who are receiving or have received cash aid within the past 2 years, and parents who are incapacitated may also be eligible for assistance. We are obligated to give priority to the lowest ranking families.

This depends on your ranking on the eligibility list. After submitting your application, you may be asked to provide supporting documentation of your income and childcare needs – this may include items such as birth certificates, employment verification, pay stubs, school schedules, or child support information. Your case manager will work with you to identify what information is needed and keep you informed on your eligibility status. We cannot begin enrollment until all of your documentation has been received, so often times, the speed of the enrollment process depends on you. Families who rank higher than most will have a longer wait, or may never get enrolled.

We will keep be touch with you if/when we are able to enroll you. After you submit your initial application, we may request supporting documentation to prove the need and income your listed on your application. Once your information is verified, we will set an appointment to meet with you to complete the enrollment process and explain how the program works.

Make sure you keep us up to date on your most current phone number, email address, and mailing address so we can reach you when necessary.

Resource & Referral FAQ

You can contact ICES for a referral consultation. In addition you can visit our Child Care Resource and Referral page to request a consultation or conduct a search for child care through the My Child Care Plan search engine.

ICES neither employs nor recommends child care providers. The Community Care Licensing Division is responsible for regulating licensed child care providers. Parents have the right to learn about any substantiated or inconclusive complaints regarding programs they may be considering through the Community Care Licensing website or by calling 1-844-538-8766. ICES maintains a regularly updated list of licensed family child care providers and child care centers in Mariposa and Tuolumne counties. Our child care specialists provide guidance and resources that support parents in their effort to effectively evaluate and make informed decisions regarding care for their children. You can learn more or request a referral consultation by visiting our Child Care Resource & Referral page.

If a provider has had a licensing violation, that means they were out of compliance with one or more of the licensing requirements which is issued by the Community Care Licensing division. The licensing division gives the provider specific directives and timelines to ensure corrective actions have been taken for that program to reach compliance with licensing regulations.

ICES maintains a Lending Library of materials covering a wide range of subjects and developmental levels. Child care providers can request those materials by contacting our office. Child care providers may also earn ICES Bucks (credits), materials, or – if enrolled in the Quality Counts Program – even cash stipends by attending approved professional development workshops. To learn more about the resources ICES offers local child care providers, visit our Child Care Provider Resources page.

Yes. ICES Resource & Referral staff are trained in child development and early education. They can give you expert consultation in evidence-based strategies that can help you strengthen relationships with children, enhance the structure of your child care environment, and set reasonable expectation to support children’s behaviors.

No, they are open to anyone interested in or who cares for children. Parents, grandparents, students… all are welcome.

No. Care that is provided for the child or children from one family is exempt from being licensed.  However, getting licensed is easy, and caring for a few children offers many rewards.  Check out the Child Care Initiative Project page for more information!

Work from your own home, set your own schedule, playmates for your children, extra income, and joy in supporting and witnessing the healthy development of young children to name just a few. To learn more visit our Child Care Initiative Project page.

Emergency Foster Bridge FAQ

The Emergency Foster Bridge Program is a service offered to eligible foster parents in Tuolumne County by Infant Child Enrichment Services. This program is designed to maximize funding to support the child care needs of eligible foster families and increase the capacity of child care programs to meet the needs of foster children in their care. In order to accomplish these goals, the Bridge Program is comprised of three main components: the child care navigator, emergency child care voucher, and trauma-informed care training and coaching. To learn more about this program click here.

No. Eligibility for the Emergency Foster Bridge program is determined by the Child Welfare division of the Tuolumne County Department of Social Services. A referral must be provided by CWS in order for ICES to enroll a foster child into the program. To find out if you are eligible, contact your social worker.

Children in the foster system can exhibit a wide range of needs including but not limited to social emotional development, specific disabilities, and behavioral challenges. ICES provides free Trauma Informed Care training and coaching to child care providers to help them build safe and enriching environments and strategies that can effectively support the needs of children who have histories of trauma. Click here to learn more.

All workshops that ICES offers are open to the public. That said, the Trauma Informed Care Training and Coaching program was developed specifically for child care providers. Columbia College provides the Foster and Kinship Care Education program, which offers training and support to foster/resource parents and family members caring for children in a foster capacity. Click here to learn more about the FKCE program and contact your social worker for more information about education and support.